Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Make your own Baby Food

I have been wanting to make my own baby food since I had Brody. But for some reason it just seemed like way too much work and I figured there were recipes to follow and I'm not one who loves to try new recipes very often. So I just bought regular store bought Baby food.
Well since then I have talked to quite a few people who have made their own and they made it sound so wonderful. So I searched online and came across a few great Make your own baby food sites. One of them being http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com

And now I make all of Beckham's Baby food! I love doing it! It's pretty much free since I already have to buy bananas for Brody and peas for our family. We already had a food processor ( a blender will work fine too) so there's really no extra money involved. And it takes 2 seconds to whip some up. I just put it in plastic mini tuppeware I get at Target.

(Mine Look like this except they sell a pack without cups and forks. It just has the bowls and lids. Called "TAKE N TOSS" I LOVE these!)
And from there I can freeze it or refrigerate it. I haven't really frozen any yet. I just make enough for a few days and then make something new. I don't feel the need to make a huge year supply and freeze it. But if you like to cook a huge batch and save on time later. That would be a great way to do it!

So I've started with Banans and Peas.... I thought I copy and paste the directions for making them so you could see just how easy it is!

Bananas - bananas are a great first food for your baby. Research indicates that bananas and their mucosal properties actually help coat the tummy and help aid in digestion. Bananas are sweet, which may help baby more readily accept the first food experience.
Vitamins: A, C, Folate

Minerals: Potassium, Phosphorus, Selenium, Magnesium, Calcium



1. Peel a ripe banana - do not cook

2. Place banana in a food processor/food mill or blender and puree

3. You can also mash the banana in a bowl using a regular fork – heat in microwave for 25 seconds prior to mashing for extra softness

4. Add formula/breast milk or water to thin or add cereal (if desired) to thicken up.


The best way to cook peas for homemade baby food


Steaming or boiling peas in a scant amount of water is the best way to cook peas for baby food. For a nice flavor, cook peas in a homemade vegetable, chicken or beef stock.




Peas - Basic Baby Food Recipe - same method for Green Beans




1. If using fresh Peas, open the pods and scrape out the peas from the pod.

If using frozen Peas (or Green Beans), cook according to package directions.

2. Place fresh peas into a steamer basket in a pan with a just enough water to slightly show through in the basket.

3. Steam until very tender; be sure to check on the water level.

4. Reserve any left over water to use for thinning out the peas.

5. Place into your choice of appliance for pureeing and begin pureeing.



It is best to use the setting that makes the finest liquid purees - green bean and pea skins are rather difficult to completely puree. Using a blender rather than a food processor or stick mixer might be better as well.



Plunging hot cooked peas into a bowl of ice cold water is known to help make a smoother puree.



6. Add the reserved water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin consistency

7. You may wish to push the peas (or green beans) through a sieve or mesh strainer to get rid of any remaining skins


GOOD LUCK making your own Baby Food!

2 comments:

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

These are great tips!! I've been wanting to try this since baby food is so dang expensive. Your directions are so simple; I'm going to do this!
I just entered your giveaway hosted by Ten June. Your pillows are gorgeous. Really hoping I win! :)

mr & mrs O. said...

Great tips thx for sharing!!