Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Boston Ferns

You may have heard me say before that I am notorious for killing any and all plants and flowers. But I try again every year. Well a few weeks ago I bought 4 beautiful Boston Ferns to hang on my porch! Last year they died when we went on vacation for a week.

Are you really supposed to ask neighbors to water your plants while your gone?

Well Anyway... I'm determined to keep them alive! I did a lot of research on how to properly take care of and maintain Boston Ferns. So for any of you who are like me and may not yet be gifted in the plant area. I thought I would share some of my new found knowledge about ferns!

Ferns really are one of the best plants to start with because if they die or dry out you can nurse them back to health pretty easily. (plus they are $5-$10 a piece, I buy mine at Kroger) so if you do completely kill them atleast you didn't invest a lot of money.

The History of the Boston Fern
The Boston Fern has a great history of being one of the Victorian parlor room tropicals. Along with the parlor palm and snake plant, it took its place on the front porch for the summer. Hanging in the night's breeze and creating all sorts of romantic evenings on the porch swing.
Doesn't that sound so sweet?

It originates from tropical and semi-tropical regions of the world. Often covering rain forest floors, it quicklyspreads. It can also be used in landscapes as great fill-in.

(I had to get my helper involved! He gets a little distracted. Can you blame him, he's 2 and there's water involved?!)


Ferns like....
Ferns, in general, thrive in rich humus soil, partial shade, and high humidity.

Care:
Misting is ideal, it creates the tropical and semi-tropical conditions that the plant loves best. Water when soil becomes dry. I water mine every other day.Water-soluble plant food can be applied once every two weeks during the warmer months.During winter,  fertilizer should be applied monthly. And once a week it's a good idea to fill up a bucket of water and sit the fern inside of it. That way all the roots become saturated. (sometimes water is good at finding the fastest exit route and the roots don't get the water they need.)

TIP:
 I ready all over that to help achieve a rich, green color, the Boston fern can be given a mixture of two tablespoons of Epsom salts per gallon of water.

Watch out for:
Pay close attention for aphids, mealy bugs, or the red spider. Do not use pesticides for they are a tad strong on ferns. Use soap and water, drenching and repeating the process several times.
I have never had a problem with any of these. Although now that I said that I hope I don't jinx myself!


They can be hung  from a chain with an eye hook and an S hook. The eye hook is installed into the surface you want to hang them from. And then you attatch the chain ( we used a white one so you can't see it from far away and we purchased from it from Lowes), then the fern hangs from the S hook.

Hope that helps!

Good luck! And cross your fingers for me too!

Photobucket

No comments: